An Ohio teenager who ingested a number of antihistamine capsules as a part of a Benadryl Problem his pals had been filming for TikTok has died after six days on a ventilator. [Image: Shutterstock.com]
A 13-year-old Ohio boy has died from the consequences of an antihistamine overdose after spending practically every week hooked to a ventilator.
In accordance with a GoFundMe account from a relative, Jacob Stevens “took a bunch of Benadryl assuming attempting to be cool in entrance of his pals” as a part of a TikTok problem. Betty C. Jung, an adjunct lecturer for public well being, took to Twitter to share that after taking a number of capsules in entrance of his pals who had been filming him for TikTok, Jacob beginning having seizures:
Folks usually overdose on Benadryl for its hallucinatory uncomfortable side effects, however an overdose may trigger quick and irregular heartbeats, seizures, comas, and even demise.
Whereas the Benadryl Problem went viral way back to 2020, in accordance with a TikTok assertion despatched to CNN after Jacob’s demise, the social media website has “never seen this type of content trend on our platform.”
Johnson & Johnson said it was conscious of the “harmful development”
Benadryl producer Johnson & Johnson said it was conscious of the “harmful development [that] must be stopped instantly.” The drug large additionally stated it was working with TikTok and different social media platforms to take away content material that showcases “this harmful conduct.”
Jacob handed away April 12 at Nationwide Youngsters’s Hospital in Columbus and his funeral came about Wednesday at Washington Courtroom Home, Ohio.